Thursday, December 18, 2008

La, La, La, La...

Today was the much anticipated Christmas program! The children did beautifully (for the most part). We started out by doing a fingerplay about Santa Claus, then we did a song in Spanish that we've been working on since the beginning of the year, called "My Hands on My Head." From there we sang Jingle Bells, then did another fingerplay (The Chubby Little Snowman) and then finished up with "We Wish You a Merry Christmas." I think the parents really enjoyed the performance (though it couldn't have been more than maybe 7 minutes long!!). I couldn't be more proud!

Lately I've been feeling like I haven't really made much progress with the kids this year, but doing the parent teacher conferences has boosted my confidence a little. All of the fourteen families I met with (out of 33, not a good turn out!) said that they had no complaints about my classroom and the ones that were at Head Start last year said that I was a big improvement over the old teacher who was fired. Several mentioned seeing big changes in their children at home. Although there are a lot of things I want to change about the class, and a lot of progress still to be made this year, I feel like maybe all the work I've put in thus far hasn't been totally lost on the kids. And next year I will only be a better, more prepared teacher!

No comments: