Monday, January 05, 2009

Getting Back in the Swing of Things

Today was my first day back at work since the [wonderful] Christmas break. I'm very blessed in that this was a teacher work day, leaving me free of children to prepare for the upcoming week/month. It was good to be back and feel like I have things under control...the room is rearranged in a new, (hopefully) more efficient layout, the January newsletter and calendar are complete, along with my lesson plans for the week, and I got rid of that cardboard Pilgrim cabin we made for Thanksgiving. Whew! What a relief!

Even better, the staff seems to be getting along well so far. Everyone was friendly and cheerful, visiting about everything that happened during the holidays. I hope that that can continue. I really did not foresee having to manage other adults in my classroom; it's just not something I enjoy dealing with, especially when those adults can't seem to get it together. But this is a new year and a new beginning...I'm going to work towards making the rest of the year a much more positive environment for everyone.

We should be having a fun week...learning about winter and snow...we're even "making" frost in a science experiment. I just hope that the children cooperate. I'm expecting that we'll basically be starting from scratch like it's the beginning of the school year with the kids. Christmas will have destroyed what routine we have established. But hey, that may be a good thing now that I have more of an idea of what I want from the kids. I can be consistent from the start. Still, tomorrow is going to be a long day...

No comments: